Dr Webster is a pioneer for skin laser surgery in South Africa and makes use of the following 4 lasers:
- Intense Pulse Light (Ellipse®)
- Mosaic® Fractional Resurfacing
- Candela® Carbon Dioxide Fractional Laser Resurfacing
- Alexandrite Hair Removal Laser
Each patient would have to be assessed by means of an initial consultation to decide which laser would be suitable for their treatment.
1. Intense Pulse Light (Ellipse®)
Intense Pulsed Light is a very effective treatment for fine lines, brown age spots, freckles, broken veins and enlarged pores. In the past each of these conditions required different laser treatments and these often resulted in some inconvenience and discomfort during and after the procedure. Often patients were required to take time off work or from their daily lives i.e. downtime.
IPL treats the imperfections of the skin in the epidermis – the top layer of skin – so that the brown sunspots and freckles peel off approximately 7-10 days after treatment. The IPL heats up the collagen resulting in tighter, firmer and smoother skin.
As one uses lower energies of Intense Pulsed Light, it is a very safe procedure with no downtime and minimal risk of complications.
A series of treatment sessions with IPL is recommended. The number of treatments will depend on the amount of sun damage you have on your skin. By dividing the sessions up into several treatments the procedure provides gradual improvement with a very low risk.
An assessment of your skin and how suitable it is for IPL treatments, the number of treatments required and the cost thereof can be discussed with Dr Webster at your consultation.
2. Mosaic® Fractional Resurfacing
The Mosaic® laser is the latest state-of-the-art fractional non-ablative laser.
Previous ablative lasers would vaporize the whole top layer of your skin, leaving a raw painful area. This laser produces multiple, deep columns of laser that penetrate down to the deep dermis while sparing the surrounding tissues. The skin’s upper most layers act as a protective dressing so healing time is reduced. These deep laser beams heat up and remodel the collagen and the outcome produces a more natural look and uniform skin rejuvenation with minimal downtime.
This laser will help for solar lentigines (brown sunspots), fine lines, acne scars and will tighten the skin to a certain degree. It can be used on the face, neck and chest quite safely.
The Mosaic® laser delivers excellent results such as reduced pore size, overall improved laxity and skin tone. There will be a noticeable improvement immediately after each treatment and this will continue over the coming months. The skin will look brighter and feel regenerated.
The treatment is performed with the use of local anaesthetic cream and the pain is minimal. It takes approximately 45 minutes to perform a full face treatment and afterwards the skin will look slightly pink and possibly a little swollen for a day or two. The Mosaic® laser is one of the safest and most reliable resurfacing laser systems available.
On average a patient would require at least 3 to 6 treatments spaced approximately 4 to 6 weeks apart. Dr Webster will do an assessment of your skin and will recommend the number of treatments required and the cost thereof at your consultation.
3. Candela® Carbon Dioxide Fractional Laser Resurfacing
Benefits Skin Rejuvenation:
- Anti-Ageing: improves overall texture and tone – excellent results around the mouth and eyes
- Skin tightening and refines pores
- Reduction of deep wrinkles
- Lightening of sun spots
- Severe acne scarring: pitted and deep scarring
- Carbon Dioxide Laser
- Wavelength of 10600nm
- Invisible infrared beam of light
- Delivers a concentrated energy in a small focal point to vaporise the tissue (instantly removing superficial layers of the skin, scars and wrinkles)
- Effectively treats skin’s surface, middle and deep dermal levels
- Doctor can choose between 4 types of settings depending on skin problem
- Treat superficial and deep skin layers simultaneously
- CO2 laser absorbed by water in tissue
- Enables collagen shrinkage, hence tightening, improved texture etc.
- Laser beam scanning system:
- – Emits pin-point laser beams adjacent to each other to form a laser spot
- – Spots form a pre-defined pattern
- – Doctor can control distance between spots (% coverage) (the higher the % coverage, the more ablative the treatment)
Traditional CO2 Resurfacing
- Full Ablative Laser (removing epidermis and even dermis) by vaporising tissue
- Longer downtime
- Potential Hypopigmentation (white marks – melanin/ pigment destroyed) – irreversible
- Greater risk of scarring
- Once off treatment
Candela® Carbon Dioxide Fractional Laser Resurfacing
- Scattered pattern of small spots
- Vaporises the skin tissue, instantly removing superficial layers of skin
- An immediate skin tightening effect is observed
- No major wounds, just crusting
- 2 to 5 days healing time
- Minimal pain
- Possible hyperpigmentation (more post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation) – treated with hydroquinone
- Once off for certain indications, otherwise 2 to 3 treatments for deep wrinkles and pitted acne scarring
- Suitable Candidates
- Men and women wanting top of range treatment.
- Skin types I to III
- Doctor to assess patient’s medical history before commencing treatments
- Safe on face, neck, chest and hands
- In some cases, doctors could alternate CO2 and Mosaic Fractional Lasers
- Melasma/ Chloasma (pigmentation)
- Active acne
- Tendency to hypertrophic or keloid scars
- List of prescription drugs and diseases (doctor to assess)
- Permanent make up (doctor / assistant to protect areas if needed)
To prevent fever blisters/ herpes, patients will be given a script for 2 Elitrex tablets (start 24 hours before treatment and continue for a few days after)
Stop Retacnyl/ Retin-A/ Hydroquinone 5 days beforehand
No laser hair removal or waxing one month prior to treatment
No chemical peels one month prior to treatment
Minimal sun exposure (cannot treat a tanned skin)
Patient to arrive with clean skin 1 hour before
30% Lidocaine is applied an hour before treatment
Assistant to blow cold air onto skin during laser procedure to make the patient more comfortable
Post Treatment Care
Immediately afterwards, a thick layer of Vaseline will be applied
Patient is to use Vaseline at home for 2 to 5 days, depending on the healing time
Once scabs/ crusting has fallen off, patient can use a bland moisturiser and sun block
Men should not shave until the scabs have fallen off
Post Laser Side Effects
Erythema (redness of skin)
Treated area has distinctive redness representing increased blood flow due to growth of superficial tissue and collagen
Redness will gradually fade within 5 to 15 days
Make-up can be applied to cover red areas, once scabs have fallen off
Can last up to 24 hours
Presents after 3rd day of procedure, then begins to shed and reveal younger healthier looking skin
Sometimes after day 2 as you would experience after sunburn.
4. Alexandrite Hair Removal Laser
This Gold Standard hair removal laser is one of the most effective lasers for the removal of unwanted hair.